Work/life and wellness
Employee Health Services
Employee Health Services provides a wide range of health and safety services to faculty and staff of VCU and the VCU Health System.
Location and hours
West Wing (Room 120)
1200 East Broad Street
P. O. Box 980134
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0134
Phone: (804) 828-0584
Office hours for scheduled patient appointments and walk-in visits are as follows:
- Monday through Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday: 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Pre-placement health assessments for new employees
- Note: Any new employee — or one who has moved to a position that has contact with blood or bodily fluids as part of the job duties — must be scheduled for a pre-placement health assessment within 10 days of the first day of work. Call (804) 828-0584 for expedited scheduling.
- Periodic exams designed to detect signs or symptoms of ill health related to working conditions
- Evaluation and treatment of occupational injuries and illnesses for workers' compensation
- Medical monitoring for biohazard exposure
- Vaccinations and immunizations for employees working with infectious agents or at risk of exposure to infectious diseases
- Evaluations of employees for on-the-job, non-occupational illnesses to help ensure that they do not transmit communicable diseases to coworkers or hospital patients
- Annual preventive flu shots on both campuses
- Administration of medication provided by the employee for maintenance allergy shots and maintenance medication by injection
- Blood pressure checks for employees on blood pressure medication
- Coordination of blood tests if lab work is ordered by a physician
- Referrals to other physicians and subspecialists within the VCU Health System
We also work closely with other university departments to provide the following services:
- Consultation with Employee Relations on issues related to the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), employee job performance with medical issues, etc.
- Direct working relationships with individual departments or in conjunction with other safety areas to present safety and injury-prevention training
- Participation with training and development on issues such as stress management, prevention of workplace violence, etc.