Payroll and leave
Electronic W-2s (eW2s) for 2012 available!
NOTE: Employees who did not give their eConsent will receive a paper copy, which VCU must mail by the end of January (to comply with federal law). But you can always sign up at any time to view and print your eW-2 ... even after a paper copy is mailed. Need help? Click here.
Employees who have given their eConsent* to receive their W-2 statement electronically will be able to access and print their current eW-2 online prior to the mailing of paper W-2s.
Electronic W-2s are safe, convenient and significantly reduce the risk of identity theft by thieves targeting mailboxes at W-2 time. Print as many copies as you like, whenever you like — at no cost to you.
*Consent need only be given once as it remains in effect until revoked by the employee.
- Log on to the myVCU Portal and click on “eServices/VCU Self Service.”
- Click the “Employee” tab; then click on “Tax Forms, Electronic W-2 Earnings Statement” and select the year.
- Got questions about your W-2? Contact VCU Payroll Services at (804) 828-0740 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those who do not give their eConsent, paper copies of the W-2 statement will be mailed no later than the last day of January (to comply with federal law) to the home address listed in the Banner system.
- What is “electronic W-2"?
- Why should I choose to receive my W-2 this way?
- When will my eW-2 be available in eServices/VCU Self Service?
- If I elect to receive my W-2 electronically, can I change my mind?
- What if I select eW-2 and then I leave VCU?
- Does this mean I don’t need to worry about the system having my correct address?
- How do I give my eConsent to receive my W-2 electronically?
- What if I can't remember my VCU eID or password?
- What if I didn't give my eConsent but now wish to sign up to view/print my eW-2?
- My W-2 statement doesn't match my actual income for the year. Why is that?
This is a process to provide you with the option to access your W-2 information electronically by computer through eServices/VCU Self Service instead of receiving a paper W-2 statement through the mail. The electronic version has print capability that allows you to print out an IRS-approved paper W-2. If you use eFile to file your taxes, no paper W-2 is required.
Electronic W-2s benefit everyone. Not only will you be able to access your W-2 information sooner than if we were to mail it, you have the ability to access/print it as often as you like, in case you need additional copies. In addition, VCU saves time, effort and money associated with printing, stuffing and mailing W-2s to potentially thousands of employees.
This depends on a number of factors, but it will be available at least a week before the mass mailing of paper W-2 forms. That week can be very important if you are expecting a refund.
Absolutely. You have the right to receive a paper W-2 at any time you so choose. But if you choose eW-2, your selection will remain in effect until you change it. If, for any reason, you need to have VCU provide you with a paper W-2, simply contact VCU Payroll Services at (804) 828-0740 or email@example.com.
If you no longer have access to eServices/VCU Self Service, contact VCU Payroll Services at (804) 828-0740 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send your paper W-2 to you.
No. It is still very important to have current, accurate address records in Banner. The permanent address in Banner is still used in the W-2 process, along with many other VCU processes, and this information is submitted to federal and state agencies when we send our files.
eConsent is done through eServices/VCU Self Service:
- From the main menu, select the “Employee” tab.
- Click on “Tax Forms, Electronic W-2 Earnings Statement.”
- Once on the Electronic W-2 Earnings Statement page, click the check box to consent to receive your W-2 electronically and then click the “Submit” button.
- Need help? Click here.
Reminder - you only need to give your eConsent once as it remains in effect until revoked by you. eConsent revocation is done by contacting VCU Payroll Services at (804) 828-0740 or email@example.com.
You can always sign up at any time during the year to view/print your eW-2. Need help? Click here.
Employees who did not give their eConsent will receive a paper copy, which VCU must mail by the end of January (to comply with federal law). We must have an internal deadline for employees to give their eConsent, if they haven't already done so, as this lets us know whose paper W-2 statement must be printed and mailed by the federal deadline. Reminder - you only need to give your eConsent once as it remains in effect until revoked by you.
As mentioned above, VCU saves time, effort and money associated with printing, stuffing and mailing W-2s to potentially thousands of employees when they give their eConsent. Employees benefit as well because not only will they be able to access their W-2 information sooner than if we were to mail it, they have the ability to access/print it as often as they like, in case they need additional copies.
Frequently, income reported on employees' W-2 statements will not match their actual income for the year. This is because certain pre-tax items, such as health care premiums, 403b and 457 tax deferrals, parking and other deductions, reduce their reportable income. Additionally, the value of life insurance over $50,000 must be imputed (accounted for) and added to reportable income.
- For more information, see the additional explanations of W-2 box amounts .
- For help with W-2 questions, contact VCU Payroll Services at (804) 828-0740 or firstname.lastname@example.org.