Though relevant information can be found throughout the human resources site, the following links will guide you directly to that which is geared toward personnel administrators.
Toolbox for personnel administrators
- PA login to eJobs
Guest login to eJobs
- HR Banner
- Personnel action form (PAF)
- Express Hire/HireRight user guide
- Quick reference for new hires
(critical forms required for all new employees)
- Pay practices
eJobs upgrade information
- View the slides from the eJobs upgrade preview
- eGuide to eJobs: http://www.hr.vcu.edu/pdf_docs/eGuidetoeJobs.pdf
Note: Your role is determined by your supervisor; therefore, please consult with your supervisor to determine if your position requires personnel administrator access.
The following courses are required to obtain personnel administrator access:
- PAA001: Banner Basic Navigation & System/Data Security
(available on Blackboard only)
- PAA002: Personnel Administrator Orientation for Access
(contact your HR consultant to schedule training)
Once these courses and accompanying quizzes have been completed, your supervisor must submit a remedy ticket to VCU technology services requesting personnel administrator access on your behalf.
To maintain your personnel administrator access, you must complete and pass the annual "Recertification for Personnel Administrators" each spring. You will receive an email notification regarding this requirement when it is due.
- HR Banner access and online training
- HR Banner guides and resources - includes access to the following:
- decentralized funding changes (i.e., PHAREDS, funding change (FDC), QuickFlow, etc.)
- Banner forms (INB)
- ePAFs (instructions for all ePAFs)
- adjunct contract renewal (AJREN); adjunct pay period calculator; FTE charts (teaching/non-teaching credits; part-time/non-teaching adjuncts)
- graduate assistant renewal (GREN)
- terminations (TERME and TERMJ); decentralized terminations; separation guidelines
- work-study renewal (WREN)
- payroll query forms (i.e., HR query, Banner ORGs, NBAJOBS, PEAEMPL, PEAFACT, POIDEN, etc.)
- VCU reporting center
- HR reports guide
- payroll detail report: instructions, quick card and pivot table
- HR policies and guidelines
- HR forms
- Instant HRs
- Personnel administrator certification (PAC) program
Personnel administrator responsibilities
The role of the personnel administrator
- Acts as the human resource liaison for department faculty and staff by providing information on benefits, leave and other relevant HR functions to employees.
- Provides basic information, training and assistance to department hiring managers on federal, state and university hiring practices and policies.
- Coordinates and manages selection and hiring process according to HR and EEO guidelines.
- Processes complete, accurate and timely HR transactions, including Express Hire and HireRight, and processes complete, accurate and timely paperwork, including PAFs, employment forms, leave forms and other relevant HR forms in accordance with published deadlines and HR guidelines.
- Ensures compliance of HR data and records on a departmental level.
- Maintains knowledge of current HR policies and procedures through HR communications, training and the HR website.
Compliance and confidentiality
- Familiarize yourself with the various federal and state laws that affect employment: fair labor standards act (FLSA) , family and medical leave act (FMLA), conflict of interest , etc.
- Protect the confidentiality of personnel information and other sensitive data.
- Do not share system passwords.
- Do not publish social security numbers of faculty and staff. Secure staff personnel data.
HR communication and education
- Review and forward, as appropriate, Instant HR email communications.
- Provide departmental training on HR issues to faculty and staff, as needed.
- Encourage faculty and staff use of eServices/VCU Self Service for HR information, including pay and leave data, and to make personal data changes.
Ensure timely completion. NOTE: It is the PA's responsibility to ensure that hiring managers are aware of this information.
- Submit HR paperwork to ImageNow - you have two options:
For guidance and examples on how to process personnel action forms (PAFs), see the PAF reference guide .
For new-hire paperwork, see personnel administrator/hiring manager quick reference for new hires and rehires (critical forms required for all new employees).
- See also the PA/hiring manager new hire/rehire resource card .
Oversee processing of the following departmental HR functions:
- Conduct recruitment and hiring.
- Post classified, hourly and student vacancies; draft and submit employee work profiles (EWPs) and certain classified pay actions through the paperless eJobs system at https://www.vcujobs.com/hr/sso. Contact your HR consultant for additional instructions or see eGuide for eJobs .
- Use the Banner Express Hire/HireRight user guide for new-hire processing.
- Send non-selection letters to interviewed candidates, as applicable. Find out more about employment services.
- Ensure that classified staff and faculty attend their orientation sessions (as indicated in their welcome packet from HR) so they can
- become familiar with their benefit options and take action and enroll, if needed; and
- learn more about VCU's policies, resources and services. Visit the pre-orientation website.
- Ensure required forms are completed for all decentralized hires. See decentralized orientation information.
- Assist your new employee in obtaining the following:
- VCUCard ID
- email account, which is automatically created for all new VCU employees (direct your new employee to this VCU technology services website to follow the three easy steps to begin accessing his/her email account)
- Banner account (request access for this and other systems and software, as needed)
- PC profile and network access
- building access (request through VCU campus police)
- phone (and long-distance code, as appropriate)
- security awareness training and other certifications, as necessary
- Conduct supervisor review of:
- Employee work profile (EWP) and confidentiality expectations
- prohibition of disseminating sensitive data, security breach procedures and internal desktop security guidelines
- work hours, leave request process and departmental call-in procedures
- fiscal or data internal controls, where applicable, and specific responsibilities related to those records
- Provide access to parking information, if necessary.
- Complete classification recommendations and preparation of pay practice justification and documentation. For more information, see compensation management.
- Use the Banner affiliate process (for non-employees) to enter and delete, as appropriate, affiliate data.
- Key account code changes online in Banner.
- Separate faculty and staff employment according to established guidelines .
- Call VCU payroll services at (804) 828-0740 with faculty and staff separation dates.
- Remind supervisors to forward written notices to VCU employee relations (P. O. Box 842511) after issuing them.
Leave and Timekeeping
- The timekeeper for the department keys supervisor-approved faculty and staff leave and time by established deadlines and within federal, state and university guidelines (including FLSA, FMLA, VSDP, etc.).
- However, the PA may need to assist employees and managers in understanding leave plans. For more information, see leave types and guidelines: a resource for faculty, classified employees and timekeepers .
- Distribute annual classified performance management instructions and forms.
- Notify supervisors of due dates for probationary and annual classified performance evaluations.
- Ensure collection of classified performance evaluations by established deadlines.
Faculty and staff resource and referral
- Refer faculty and staff to appropriate HR and other University resources, as needed; for example, benefits, employee relations, university safety committee, work/life resources, workers’ compensation.
- Encourage and assist faculty and staff in their awareness of HR procedures and established deadlines (for example, life event benefit changes and employee health physicals for faculty and staff in contact with blood and body fluids).
Recruitment and employment resources
eJobs - https://www.vcujobs.com/hr/sso
PA/hiring manager quick reference for new hires/rehires (critical forms required for all new employees)