Compensation and rewards
Departments use hourly (wage or temporary) employees to meet seasonal or temporarily excessive workload needs, for short-term projects, as interim replacements or to perform jobs that do not require faculty or classified employees.
The work-hour limit for hourly employees is 1,500 hours annually (365 consecutive days starting on the hourly worker’s first work day). Work hours include regular and overtime hours, student hours and any other hours worked in a second job.
The following provides information on workflow for hiring and pay actions for wage employees. For additional questions or information, please email your HR consultant or call (804) 827-1770.
- Establishing a new wage position and hiring an employee into a wage position (decentralized and centralized)
- Role change for a wage employee*
- In-band adjustment for a wage employee*
Establishing a new wage position and hiring an employee into a wage position (decentralized and centralized)
Step 1: Department defines the job
- Determine the position’s purpose and core responsibilities.
- Identify the Role title/code* (Federal SOC codes are not required for hourly workers).
- Find the role codes on the career group descriptions or on the Personnel Action Form (PAF) form.
- Determine the working title (optional).
- Complete the “Position Information” section of the wage position description (Wage PD) with the above information.
Step 2: Recruit and select an applicant
- For centralized hourly recruiting (post on eJobs@VCU)
- For decentralized hourly recruiting (department selects an applicant); consult with your HR consultant for salary approval before making offer.
Step 3: Department offers job, completes paperwork
- Offer the job to the selected applicant.
- Send a confirmation letter to each new hourly employee. This letter confirms employment and start date, and makes the individual aware of the temporary nature of wage employment (see sample confirmation letter).
- Provide new hourly employee with important information on VCU policies and procedures. Give hourly employee the policy orientation form and have him/her sign to signify awareness of and intention to abide by university policies. Departments also may register hourly employees for new employee orientation, which is optional for hourly employees. If you would like your hourly employee to attend new employee orientation, please contact your HR consultant for the schedule.
Step 4: Department forwards paperwork to VCU Human Resources
- For new hourly employees: forward the completed PAF form and new hire paperwork to VCU Human Resources through ImageNow.
- For current VCU employee taking a second (hourly) university job: After completing steps 1, 2 and 3, forward completed PAF to VCU Human Resources through ImageNow.
- There are two ways to submit HR paperwork to ImageNow:
Note: VCU Health System employees cannot hold “second” jobs with VCU. Consult your HR consultant for special assistance with alternative employment options.
*Role title/code = position class title code in Banner; SOC title/code = OTC (federal Occupational Title Code in Banner).
Submit a PAF (action codes CRD, CRL, or CRU) and a Wage Position Description (WPD) form.
Consult with your HR consultant on process. See also changing the role of an existing classified employee.
In-band adjustments for wage employees are only allowed for change in duties. Submit a PAF (action code CID) and a Wage Position Description form.