Compensation and rewards
VCU operates its current compensation and classification activities for classified staff and most hourly employees under state guidelines. Our compensation system is designed to:
- Attract and retain qualified employees
- Reward sustained high performance
- Support managers in achieving organizational objectives
- Learn about classifying positions
- Career group descriptions
- This includes Role titles and Role codes (known as “Position Class” title and code in Banner). At the end of each career group description, in the Statistical Reporting section, you can find standard occupational classification titles and codes (known as federal Occupational Title Codes or “OTC” titles and codes in Banner.
- Standard Occupational Classification codes (SOC)
- This includes descriptions (known as “OTC” codes in Banner).
Performance management is a key component of our compensation system for classified employees, and this function is guided by VCU’s classified salary administration plan.
Fair Labor Standards Act and classified employees
Human Resources determines whether a classified position is exempt or non-exempt under FLSA based on a review of the current EWP. Both the FLSA job duties and salary basis exemption tests must be met for a classified position to be designated as FLSA exempt (see FLSA fact sheet ). See Overtime Guidelines.
Forms and polices
- Personnel action form (PAF)
- Overtime guidelines
- Overtime leave option
- FLSA fact sheet
- “Ask HR: Compensation Tools”
- Payment methods for employees and non-employees