For classified staff
If you become disabled and cannot work, you have protection through the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP). The program includes sick leave, family and personal leave, short-term and long-term disability benefits, and a long-term care program.
The Virginia Retirement System (VRS) administers the VSDP in conjunction with Unum, a third-party administrator. If you have questions about your benefits, visit the VRS website at www.varetire.org or email email@example.com. You also may write to the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program c/o Unum, 2211 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04122 or call (800) 652-5602 for assistance.
Review the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program Handbook for Participants available through the VRS website.
Disability options in the Faculty Optional Retirement Plan (ORP)
Faculty in the VCU Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) are provided with long-term disability insurance at no cost. This plan is available through Standard Insurance Company and provides the following coverage:
- Pays a regular income when you are disabled and cannot work as of the first day of the month after six months of continuous total disability
- Replaces 60 percent of your monthly wage base not to exceed a benefit of $4,000 per month, less the sum of benefits from other sources
- Pays the monthly contribution to the ORP during the period of disability payments
Review the Certificate of Coverage that explains the details of this plan.
Disability options for faculty in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
Faculty who are in the VRS and select the VSDP as their leave plan are automatically enrolled in short-term disability and long-term disability insurance at no cost.
Faculty who are in the VRS and select the traditional sick leave plan are not automatically covered by a disability plan. At their option, these faculty members may choose to purchase long-term disability insurance at group rates through payroll deduction. The LTD plan is available through the Standard Insurance Company and provides the following coverage:
- Pays a regular income when you’re disabled and cannot work
- Is available without a medical exam if you sign up within 31 days of initial hire
- Replaces up to 60 percent of your monthly base salary to a maximum of $5,000 per month, less any Social Security or VRS disability payments, after three months of continuous disability
- Pays benefits for as long as disability continues up to age 65 or even longer if you become disabled after age 60
- Uses your “own occupation” in determining if you are disabled
- Pays for disabilities resulting from nervous and mental conditions (with limitations)
- Allows you to convert to an individual policy if you terminate employment after 12 months of participation in the plan
- Determines monthly costs for the disability insurance by your salary and age